Current:Home > MySafeX Pro Exchange|At least 100 dead after powerful earthquakes strike western Afghanistan: UN -Capitatum
SafeX Pro Exchange|At least 100 dead after powerful earthquakes strike western Afghanistan: UN
Chainkeen Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 10:14:28
At least 100 people are SafeX Pro Exchangedead and at least 500 injured after powerful earthquakes struck western Afghanistan on Saturday, the United Nations said.
The United States Geological Survey reported two 6.3 magnitude earthquakes, as well as several strong aftershocks, near the city of Herat. One of the aftershocks had a 5.9 magnitude.
The initial earthquake struck 40 km west of the city of Herat around 11 a.m. local time, according to the U.N. Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs in Afghanistan. It was felt in neighboring Badghis and Farah provinces.
"Initial assessments indicate that as many as 100 people have been killed across eight villages in Zindajan Province, Herat Province ... with a further 500 people injured," the agency said in an update, noting that "unconfirmed reports suggest this figure may be closer to 320 people."
The disaster has impacted some 4,200 people -- about 600 families -- so far, the agency said, with 465 houses reported destroyed and 135 damaged. The worst-affected village is Mahal Wadakha, it said.
"Partners and local authorities anticipate the number of casualties to increase as search and rescue efforts continue amid reports that some people may be trapped under collapsed buildings," the U.N. Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs in Afghanistan said.
MORE: Ways to help the victims of the Morocco earthquake
In the immediate aftermath of the disaster, the Afghanistan National Disaster Management Authority said at least 15 people were killed and 40 injured.
A number of houses in Herat Province were completely or partially destroyed, the Afghanistan National Disaster Management Authority said, as search and rescue efforts were underway.
The World Health Organization in Afghanistan said on social media it was sending medical supplies to hospitals and ambulances to transport victims "as deaths & casualties from the earthquake continue to be reported."
The U.N. agency shared photos of healthcare workers treating patients outdoors amid the response.
MORE: At least 1,000 dead, 1,500 injured in earthquake in Afghanistan
UNICEF Afghanistan also said it was on the ground with its U.N. colleagues "to assess the full impact."
"Once again, children and families in Afghanistan have been affected by a devastating earthquake, this time in western Herat province," UNICEF Afghanistan said on social media.
Last year, at least 1,000 people were killed and another 1,500 injured after a 5.9-magnitude earthquake struck eastern Afghanistan, near the Pakistani border.
veryGood! (89376)
Related
- Federal Spending Freeze Could Have Widespread Impact on Environment, Emergency Management
- When does 'The Masked Singer' Season 12 start? Premiere date, time, where to watch and stream
- Southeast US under major storm warning as hurricane watch issued for parts of Cuba and Mexico
- Man fatally shot by police in Connecticut appeared to fire as officers neared, report says
- Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
- Elle King Is Pregnant, Expecting Baby No. 2 With Dan Tooker
- NFL suspends Chargers' Pro Bowl safety Derwin James for one game
- Gunman who killed 10 at a Colorado supermarket found guilty of murder
- Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
- US Naval Academy says considering race in admissions helps create a cohesive military
Ranking
- California DMV apologizes for license plate that some say mocks Oct. 7 attack on Israel
- The NYPD often shows leniency to officers involved in illegal stop and frisks, report finds
- Boeing makes a ‘best and final offer’ to striking union workers
- 4 dead after weekend Alabama shooting | The Excerpt
- How to watch the 'Blue Bloods' Season 14 finale: Final episode premiere date, cast
- Buffalo Bills destroy Jacksonville Jaguars on 'Monday Night Football'
- Victoria Monét Confirms Break Up With Partner John Gaines Amid Separation Rumors
- Texas death row inmate Travis Mullis, 'consumed by shame and madness,' killed baby son
Recommendation
Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
'Trump Train' trial: Texas jury finds San Antonio man violated Klan Act; 5 defendants cleared
Why playing it too safe with retirement savings could be a mistake
Former FTX executive Caroline Ellison faces sentencing
Louvre will undergo expansion and restoration project, Macron says
Tyreek Hill’s traffic stop can be a reminder of drivers’ constitutional rights
Tennessee replaces Alabama in top four of college football's NCAA Re-Rank 1-134
When does 'The Masked Singer' Season 12 start? Premiere date, time, where to watch and stream